Home      Journey to Norah      About Norah      Norah's Referral Photos      Norah's Gotcha Day


Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I wonder...

As I sit here typing this, Shannon and Norah are snuggled up together in the bed taking a nap. This little girl is amazing. In the last 18 months, she has been loved by her birth parents. She was obviously loved by her nanny. And now she is loved by us. She was born into one family, taken care of by another and now we will run the rest of the race by her side. We are the lucky ones. The blessed ones.
I wonder what her birth mother was thinking that July morning. I wonder if she kissed the same cheeks that I kiss every day. I wonder if she looked into those eyes and quietly whispered "I love you" like I do everyday. How hard that must have been for her to leave her. To hope and pray that someone honorable would hear her tiny cry and take her someplace safe. They did. We know his name and where he works. We would love to thank him but that cannot happen. I could never imagine leaving her alone. Leaving her fate up to a complete stranger. I am only going to believe that she was left so that someone could give her the medical help that she needed because her parents could not. They tried to take care of her for six months. They did the best that they could until they could no longer. I never really gave it that much thought until she was placed in my arms the very first time. She had a mother and father. Her mother carried her for 9 months and gave birth to her. I am sure she cried when she saw her beautiful face for the first time. How could she not?? To wake up to her for 6 months. To love her so much that she gave her up so she could be taken care of. How honorable. Was she sitting behind a bush or on a bench watching and waiting for someone to pick her up. I am sure that she was. I am sure that she cried tears of joy and sadness.
I look at her now resting so peacefully amidst all that she has been through. To loose her first two loves. I could not imagine the pain that her little heart must have felt. And to be able to smile through it all is amazing to me. She will touch a million lives with that smile and that courage. And through it all... She will be loved...

6 comments:

Stuart said...

hI! tHE FIRST THING i DO EVERY MORNING IS CHECK YOUR BLOG .PENNY, YOU WRITE SO BEAUTIFUL. GREAT PICTURES OF ELIAS,WE MISS HIM ALSO.SEE YOU SUNDAY NIGHT CAN,t wate to see you sunday night I CAN,t wate to go to the beach love zoey and nancy.

Rob,Dawn,Catherine and Iain and Maura said...

Penny, Thank you for making my morning.I think I needed a good cry. It sounds like everything is going wonderfully for you and little Norah. I am sure Elias is going to go crazy when he ses her. I can't wait to hear how they each react to each other the first time.

Stuart said...

Pretty heavy for 2:21AM!Everything you say is right. Norah is a courageous little girl. She has already been through more than we can imagine. She is an angel in training.
You got the ubiquitous "naked little girl taking a bath" shot for your photo album. You had to go there.
We miss you but at the same time, we are very happy for you being gone because of everything that has happened.

Three more days!! Then you cross the date line so you get a "do-over", then we can see Norah!!

Love,

Stuart

Anonymous said...

Oh, my...where are my tissues?
What a beautiful thought. You said it perfectly.
Her birth parents faces will be revealed to you through Norah as you watch her grow!
We are so blessed to live in the USA!
Hope you are having some fun in GZ!
Hugs, Melanie

Anonymous said...

Hey Catherine, Shannon and Norah, I just caught up on the your postings. Ryan has just hooked my computer back up so we might can do the skype. I love all the pictures of Norah,you and Shannon (by the way, you really should be a writer!! and add that to the list of all the things you have to do). I have been calling Constance Penny and she keeps saying "I can tell you're missing Penny" and I said I do, but I am thankful we get to atleast talk to yall. Elias says "I love you mommy and you are the best mommy in the whole wide world" (that was verbatim). "Dad, I love you dad because you are the best dad" (that was verbatim also). "I love you Norah and you are the best sister in the whole wide world and I will teach you all my Bible verses" (that was verbatim). Lots of love and kisses (kiss Norah for us, We love you all, Love Nana and Elias

Stuart said...

Hi! Just a side note, Zoey typed the last comment, I really can spell wait!!! Dad read that and wondered why I didn't use spell check.!!!!The Greenville cousins are very excited about "new" cousinand going to the beach house with Elias. It was so gooooood to talk with you yesterday.Since when did 2 weeks seem like 2months??? The dr. appt. went as expected- 3more weeks of antibotics.Hugs and kisses, lots of love, nanahot coffee